Blue Beyond is a woman-owned management consulting firm that focuses on the people side of business — leadership, communication, change, culture, organizational effectiveness, talent management, and employee engagement. We partner with the world’s most innovative Fortune 1000 companies, as well as groundbreaking non-profits and higher education institutions, to help them build organizations where both the business and the people thrive.
If you love to learn for a living, are energized by wearing many hats, and are excited to help a growing, purpose-driven company achieve its growth objectives, our Office Manager / Administrative Specialist role could be for you!
This position will be remote to start; however, when we return to in-person working, you will work in our Castro Valley, CA office 4-5 days per week.
What You’ll Do
Reporting to the Head of Operations, you will provide administrative support to Blue Beyond’s Operations team, manage our Castro Valley office, facilitate the office management requirements for our Indianapolis office, and provide technology support for our full Blue Beyond team.
- Partner with the Head of Operations to monitor and track Operations priorities throughout the year, identifying and flagging dependencies, managing timelines, updating project trackers, and delivering quarterly updates.
- Provide day-to-day administrative and operational support for the Head of Operations and Operations team, including tasks associated with client engagements, business development, marketing, and overall company activities.
- Coordinate our process to ensure that all internal and external Blue Beyond content, including client logos, team bios, company boilerplate language, etc., are accurate and up-to-date.
- Maintain and update standard operating procedures (SOPs) for internal operations processes; coordinate a standard review cadence and update SOPs as needed.
- Support Operations content development for internal meetings, including Blue Beyond Days, company meetings, etc., at the direction of the Head of Operations.
- Take notes during internal Operations team meetings and working sessions, and incorporate next steps and action items into project trackers.
- Other tasks as directed by the Head of Operations.
Office management support
- While our team is working virtually, visit our Castro Valley office one day each week to pick up and distribute mail, water plants, and ensure ongoing maintenance.
- Develop and manage a phased return-to-office policy and process for our Castro Valley and Indianapolis offices once it is safe to return to in-person working.
- Upon our return to in-person working, provide overall office management for our Castro Valley office, including general maintenance, overseeing housekeeping, and ensuring that our office is welcoming and ready for our team and clients at all times.
- Coordinate all office management requirements for our Indianapolis office in support of the Head of Visual Communications.
- In partnership with the People Operations Manager, ensure that Blue Beyond is current with all government and regulatory compliance postings in our Castro Valley and Indianapolis offices and on Box.
- Manage inventory and order all supplies for our Castro Valley and Indianapolis offices.
- Manage all office-related vendor relationships.
- Maintain company voicemail, including triaging incoming calls, gathering and documenting relevant information related to each call, and forwarding information to the appropriate people as needed.
- Manage the end-to-end logistics for all company-related events, including space set-up for in-person meetings, Zoom management (setup, breakout rooms, managing chat/Q&A, etc.) for virtual meetings, AV, coordination of all food and beverages, and any other hospitality-related needs.
- Onboard and offboard employee access to and from Blue Beyond and client technology platforms (e.g. Box, Zoom, Gmail, etc.) and equipment.
- Order and maintain equipment for new employees (and current employees as needed).
- Maintain Blue Beyond’s technology inventory, both in-office and for remote employees, including tracking technology purchase agreements and terms.
- Serve as the single-point-of-contact for our team relative to core operations technology platforms – Zoom, Box, and Gmail, troubleshoot technology questions, and liaise with vendor support as needed.
- Ensure the integrity of Box as our knowledge management system, reviewing/auditing folders regularly and managing the maintenance process across the Blue Beyond team.
- Oversee the management of our Zoom rooms, including troubleshooting any technology issues.
What You Bring to the Role
You bring a passion for organization, a process discipline, and a collaborative, innovative approach to problem-solving. Ideally, you have experience juggling diverse operations and administrative responsibilities in a consulting or other small business environment. You’re familiar with Zoho, Box, Zoom, and Google Suite and/or other similar enterprise software platforms, and you are ready to jump in and add immediate value. Key qualities that distinguish you include:
- A natural problem-solver with the ability to ideate well with others to develop new, smart, and sustainable processes and practices
- Committed and passionate about getting the job done with excellence and pride of ownership
- Energetic, engaged, flexible, self-directed
- Enjoy variety, learning, and mastering new things
- A great listener who is comfortable with ambiguity, asks good questions, learns, quickly, and finds ways to make the team better every day
- Savvy at “gear-shifting” – able to manage multiple projects simultaneously and navigate and re-prioritize competing priorities and deadlines “on the fly” and with minimal supervision
- Strong decision-making skills and the ability to execute and move decisions forward
- Practical and results oriented – with strong analytical ability, good judgment and a keen operational focus
- Ability to quickly diagnose challenges and drive continuous improvement
- Meticulously organized with the ability to retain and recall information
- Equally comfortable working independently and collaboratively
- Professional and known for your friendly demeanor
- Committed to Blue Beyond’s mission and values
- Delight in helping colleagues master tools and processes – great listener and trouble-shooter, with excellent customer service mindset and skills
- BA/BS in business or operations, or project management certification is preferred; candidates with comparable work experience will be considered
- Minimum of 3-5 years of administrative work experience (paid or volunteer) in a fast-paced, fast-growing organization
- Demonstrated capability in project management, organizational skills, and administrative know-how
- Great tech know-how –demonstrated capabilities in diagnosing and troubleshooting tech challenges and enabling team productivity and effectiveness through technology
- Ability to work effectively in person and in a virtual team environment
- Demonstrated ability to optimize operations and procedures
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to effectively partner with a wide variety of personalities, technical skill levels, etc.
- Proven capability to communicate clearly, present key information objectively, and collaborate effectively with management
- Familiarity with consulting or other professional services in the human capital management space is a plus
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite
- Familiarity with Zoho or other similar small business enterprise platforms, Zoom, Box, and Google Suite preferred
About Blue Beyond
Blue Beyond is a purpose-focused and growing management consulting firm with more than 60 team members in California, the Northeast, and Midwest, and clients across North America. Blue Beyond has been certified as a Great Place to Work® annually since 2015 and was named one of the US’s Best Small & Medium Workplaces by Great Place to Work® and Fortune in 2020, 2019, and 2017. Blue Beyond was also named one of the Best Workplaces in the Bay Area by Great Place to Work® and Fortune in 2019.
Diversity and inclusion are more than a commitment at Blue Beyond—it is the foundation of what we do. We are fully focused on equity and welcome and value diversity in its many forms. Blue Beyond is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits all forms of discrimination and harassment including that related to age, sex, race, religion, national origin, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or other characteristics prohibited by law. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. This commitment applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Learn more about Blue Beyond.