Blue Beyond (BB) is a woman-owned management consulting firm that focuses on the people side of business — leadership, communication, change, culture, organizational effectiveness, talent management, and employee engagement. We partner with the world’s most innovative Fortune 1000 companies as well as groundbreaking non-profit organizations to help them build organizations where both the business and the people thrive.
Founded on a culture of deep trust, high expectations, and genuine human connection, we truly believe that each member of the Blue Beyond team is part of the secret sauce that makes us, us.
If you love to learn for a living, are excited about truly understanding the full picture of target market and client needs, understanding and articulating our value proposition, and partnering with our consulting, marketing, and leadership team to build, optimize, and manage our end-to-end business development process, our Business Development Associate role could be for you!
Based in the Northeast (ideally Massachusetts, Rhode Island, or Connecticut) the Business Development Associate will report to and work side by side with the Head of Business Development to research, vet, track, and maintain business leads through each phase of the sales funnel.
The person who fills this role will wear many hats to support across our business development efforts including:
Project Management, Administrative Support, and Team Engagement
- Coordinates, schedules, and supports preparation for business development calls and pitch meetings with prospective clients.
- Inputs and maintains all BD-related information in our CRM, including: lead’s profile information, current status and next steps, notes, activity history, project data, and documents to capture the journey of each lead.
- Ensures follow-through and completion of actions to move prospective clients through the stages of the sales funnel and avoid leads becoming ‘stale.’
- Maintains all BD materials in Box – our file storage platform – and reinforces Box archival guidelines.
- Partners with Operations to ensure correct file storage/ audits and updates to existing file structure.
- Supports and drives broader BB team engagement in business development including tracking, following up, and reporting on individual business development plans.
- Monitors and audits team use of our CRM to ensure leads and relevant information are capture completely and accurately.
- Creates and maintains a ‘quick look’ sheet/ report that houses all of the pertinent information related to all current prospective clients.
- Establishes and maintains a process and editorial calendar to inform the internal team about and engage them in the BD process and progress.
- Partners with Operations to develop BD training, enablement guides, and tools for Blue Beyond team use.
Market Research, Outbound Cultivation, and Lead Nurturing
- Researches, stays informed, and keeps others up-to-date about market opportunities (i.e. attractive industry sectors, trends, buyer needs), including potential partnership opportunities.
- Helps to create and manage a target prospect list for outbound cultivation, periodically engaging others on the team. This includes researching mutual connections, relevant news articles and activities, and recommending best approach to securing contact information.
- Recommends opportunities for “productization” (new BB off-the-shelf products) based on perceived market/client needs and supports development of materials to market those products.
- Finds compelling data points and up-to-date research to translate the ‘why’ of the work we do.
- Independently responds to intake calls to assess potential client needs and gather key information.
- Participates in BD meetings, providing notetaking and follow-up support – including documenting findings, outcomes, and next steps in the CRM.
- Supports creation and maintenance of pitch decks and proposals – by service area, by client case study, or both – creating new and/or leveraging existing materials if needed.
- Suggests and curates appropriate marketing materials for follow-up communications with prospects and coordinates with the marketing team if additional resources need to be created.
- Partners with BD and Operations on managing, developing, and delivering responses to RFPs.
Analysis and Reporting
- Creates and implements processes and tools to continuously capture, analyze, and interpret data to inform BD strategy.
- Partners with Marketing, BD, and Operations on creation of meaningful metrics and dashboards/reporting vehicle(s) to share data insights with the Leadership Team in timely and thoughtful manner.
What You Bring to the Role
Ideally, you’ll have experience in business development, sales, marketing, project management, and/or a related field and are ready to jump in and add immediate value.
- Exceptional at time management, organizing, tracking, and conveying information
- Strong project management skills with an ability to manage multiple projects with competing priorities, through to completion
- Exceptional communication skills both written, verbal, with a panache for interviewing and listening deeply
- Effective at building strong relationships based on mutual respect and trust with a collaborative and responsive approach to work
- Eager to learn and finds joy in learning for a living
- Self-motivated, strategic thinker who can anticipate needs and navigate competing priorities
- Comfortable with ambiguity and in the ‘gray area’
- Committed and passionate about getting the job done with excellence and pride of ownership
- Equally comfortable working independently and collaboratively
- Professional and friendly approach
- Commitment to Blue Beyond’s mission and values
- 3-5 years work experience in Business Development, Marketing, Sales, or related field – preferably with a professional services firm
- Demonstrated understanding of the sales funnel
- Expertise in CRM and sales automation tools (Zoho experience a plus)
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Communications, Marketing or related field
- Strong project management and PowerPoint presentation development skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Google Suite, Zoom, Survey Monkey or similar tools
- Ability to work effectively in person and in a virtual team environment
- Travel required – post Covid
About Blue Beyond
Blue Beyond is a purpose-focused and growing management consulting firm with more than 60 team members in California, the Northeast, and Midwest, and clients across North America. Blue Beyond has been certified as a Great Place to Work® annually since 2015 and was named one of the US’s Best Small & Medium Workplaces by Great Place to Work® and Fortune in 2020, 2019, and 2017. Blue Beyond was also named one of the Best Workplaces in the Bay Area by Great Place to Work® and Fortune in 2019.
Diversity and inclusion are more than a commitment at Blue Beyond—it is the foundation of what we do. We are fully focused on equity and welcome and value diversity in its many forms. Blue Beyond is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits all forms of discrimination and harassment including that related to age, sex, race, religion, national origin, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or other characteristics prohibited by law. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. This commitment applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Learn more about Blue Beyond.