Blue Beyond is a woman-owned management consulting firm that focuses on the people side of business — leadership, communication, change, culture, organizational effectiveness, talent management, and employee engagement. We partner with the world’s most innovative Fortune 1000 companies, as well as groundbreaking non-profits and higher education institutions, to help them build organizations where both the business and the people thrive.
If you love to learn for a living, are energized by wearing many hats, and are excited to help a growing, purpose-driven company achieve its growth objectives, our Administrative Specialist role could be for you!
This position will be remote to start; however, when we return to in-person working, you will work in our Castro Valley, CA office 4-5 days per week.
What You’ll Do
Reporting to the Chief of Staff, you will provide administrative support to Blue Beyond’s Administrative and Talent teams, provide technology support for our full Blue Beyond team, and manage our Castro Valley office.
- Partner with the Chief of Staff to monitor and track functional area priorities throughout the year, identifying and flagging dependencies, managing timelines, updating project trackers, and delivering quarterly updates.
- Provide day-to-day administrative support for the Chief of Staff and Talent team, including tasks associated with client engagements, talent acquisition, and overall company activities.
- Coordinate our process to ensure that all internal and external Blue Beyond content, including client logos, team bios, company boilerplate language, etc., are accurate and up-to-date.
- Maintain and update standard operating procedures (SOPs) for internal operations processes; coordinate a standard review cadence and update SOPs as needed.
- Take notes during internal team meetings and working sessions, and incorporate next steps and action items into project trackers.
- Other tasks as directed by the Chief of Staff.
- Partner with the Lead of IT to onboard, offboard, and troubleshoot employee access and issues related to Blue Beyond’s technology platforms (e.g. Box, Zoom, Gmail, etc.) and equipment.
- Order and maintain equipment for new employees (and current employees as needed).
- Maintain Blue Beyond’s technology inventory, both in-office and for remote employees, including tracking technology purchase agreements and terms.
- Serve as the single-point-of-contact for our team relative to core operations technology platforms – Zoom, Box, and Gmail, troubleshoot technology questions, and liaise with vendor support as needed.
- Ensure the integrity of Box as our knowledge management system, reviewing/auditing folders regularly and managing the maintenance process across the Blue Beyond team.
- Oversee the management of our Zoom rooms, including troubleshooting any technology issues.
Office management support
- While our team is working virtually, visit our Castro Valley office one a week to pick up and distribute mail, water plants, and ensure ongoing maintenance.
- Develop and manage a phased return-to-office policy and process for our Castro Valley and Indianapolis offices once it is safe to return to in-person working.
- In partnership with the People Operations Manager, ensure that Blue Beyond is current with all government and regulatory compliance postings in our Castro Valley and Indianapolis offices and on Box.
- Upon our return to in-person working, provide overall office management for our Castro Valley office, including:
- General maintenance
- Overseeing housekeeping
- Managing inventory
- Managing vendor relationships
- Maintaining and triaging incoming phone calls
- Support end-to-end logistics for all company related events including food, AV, space set-up and break down
- Ensuring that our office is welcoming and ready for our team and clients at all times.
- Provide remote office management support where applicable, to our Indianapolis office.
What You Bring to the Role
You bring a passion for organization, a process discipline, and a collaborative, innovative approach to problem-solving. Ideally, you have experience juggling diverse operations and administrative responsibilities in a consulting or other small business environment. You’re familiar with Zoho, Box, Zoom, and Google Suite and/or other similar enterprise software platforms, and you are ready to jump in and add immediate value. Key qualities that distinguish you include:
- A natural problem-solver with the ability to ideate well with others to develop new, smart, and sustainable processes and practices
- Committed and passionate about getting the job done with excellence and pride of ownership
- Energetic, engaged, flexible, self-directed
- Enjoy variety, learning, and mastering new things
- A great listener who is comfortable with ambiguity, asks good questions, learns, quickly, and finds ways to make the team better every day
- Savvy at “gear-shifting” – able to manage multiple projects simultaneously and navigate and re-prioritize competing priorities and deadlines “on the fly” and with minimal supervision
- Strong decision-making skills and the ability to execute and move decisions forward
- Practical and results oriented – with strong analytical ability, good judgment and a keen operational focus
- Ability to quickly diagnose challenges and drive continuous improvement
- Meticulously organized with the ability to retain and recall information
- Equally comfortable working independently and collaboratively
- Professional and known for your friendly demeanor
- Committed to Blue Beyond’s mission and values
- Delight in helping colleagues master tools and processes – great listener and trouble-shooter, with excellent customer service mindset and skills
- BA/BS in business or operations, or project management certification is preferred; candidates with comparable work experience will be considered
- Minimum of 3-5 years of administrative work experience (paid or volunteer) in a fast-paced, fast-growing organization
- Demonstrated capability in project management, organizational skills, and administrative know-how
- Great tech know-how –demonstrated capabilities in diagnosing and troubleshooting tech challenges and enabling team productivity and effectiveness through technology
- Ability to work effectively in person and in a virtual team environment
- Demonstrated ability to optimize operations and procedures
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to effectively partner with a wide variety of personalities, technical skill levels, etc.
- Proven capability to communicate clearly, present key information objectively, and collaborate effectively with management
- Familiarity with consulting or other professional services in the human capital management space is a plus
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite
- Familiarity with Zoho or other similar small business enterprise platforms, Zoom, Box, and Google Suite preferred
About Blue Beyond
Blue Beyond is a purpose-focused and growing management consulting firm with more than 60 team members in California, the Northeast, and Midwest, and clients across North America. Blue Beyond has been certified as a Great Place to Work® annually since 2015 and was named one of the US’s Best Small & Medium Workplaces by Great Place to Work® and Fortune in 2020, 2019, and 2017. Blue Beyond was also named one of the Best Workplaces in the Bay Area by Great Place to Work® and Fortune in 2019.
Diversity and inclusion are more than a commitment at Blue Beyond—it is the foundation of what we do. We are fully focused on equity and welcome and value diversity in its many forms. Blue Beyond is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits all forms of discrimination and harassment including that related to age, sex, race, religion, national origin, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or other characteristics prohibited by law. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. This commitment applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Learn more about Blue Beyond.